STARS and Breaking Free Online.
To support all service users we are able to offer an online tool that will help support your recovery. Please read the following information, get yourself an access code and give it a go.
What is Breaking Free Online
Breaking Free Online is a clinically-robust computerised treatment and recovery programme for substance misuse. It has been commissioned by over 60 Local Authorities and implemented across the spectrum of alcohol and drug services by several national service providers.
- Makes a wide range of evidence-based psychosocial interventions accessible via the internet 24 hours a day
- Directly targets 36 substances – including legal highs, substitute medications and prescribed medications of abuse
- Can be delivered as computer-assisted therapy by keyworkers and peer mentors or used independently by service users
- Approved by Public Health England as a structured psychosocial intervention for the purposes of NDTMS
- Supported by training and an online outcomes dashboard that tracks usage and impact in real time
- Can be augmented by Pillars of Recovery, a group and keyworking programme for substance use and mental health difficulties
What is Breaking Free?
- Breaking Free Online is an online treatment and recovery programme that allows people to resolve the psychological and lifestyle issues that drive their use of alcohol, and so conquer their dependence once and for all
- It employs a wide range of innovative multimedia formats, making it powerful, engaging and very easy to use
- It contains 20 evidence-based intervention strategies, giving it the depth and flexibility to help anyone who is struggling to control their drinking or use of drugs
- It offers people a toolkit of 46 downloadable resources that will continue to support their recovery far beyond the 3-month treatment period, safeguarding all the positive changes they make
- It includes comprehensive guidance for supporters and practitioners, allowing them to enhance the treatment process by participating actively in it
How does it help people?
- Breaking Free Online enables people to identify the underlying psychological and lifestyle issues that are keeping their reliance on alcohol going
- It helps people make sense of how their difficulties fit together by viewing a diagram that is simple, clear and fully personalised to reflect their individual circumstances
- It equips people with the essential knowledge, skills and resources they need to resolve their problems, break their dependence on alcohol, and achieve a healthier and more balanced lifestyle
- It gives people control of their own treatment and recovery by allowing them to focus at all times on the issues that are directly relevant for them, while guiding them at every stage
- It motivates people by allowing them to monitor their progress – including reductions in their use of alcohol – and highlighting all the positive changes they make
How do I get started?
- Ask someone at STARS for an access code
- Go to the website: www.BreakingFreeOnline.com
- Click on ‘Log in’
- Click on ‘Create an account’ and away you go!
To get the most benefit, try to log on for at least one hour a week every week.
What substances does Breaking Free treat?
There are 3 Breaking Free programmes to choose from:
- Alcohol and drugs
The drugs that Breaking Free treats include:
- Nitrous oxide
- Phencyclidine (PCP)
- Synthetic cannabis